Sunday, March 05, 2006

Frosted Tree 1979


This photo was taken north of Seattle, somewhere between Everett and Mt Vernon on a winter morning. The lens used was a Nikkor 500mm mirror (CAT) mounted on a harmonically deadened tripod with a lead counter weight attached to the bottom of the post. I did a lot of work with long lenses 200mm, 300mm, 500 Nikkors. I had to purchase a third Nikon body with an electronic shutter to use the mirror since it was fixed at f8 with no half stops. I wasn't partial to electronic gadgets, even built in meters. Used a LunaPro with a spot attachment. Also had a Sekonic L428 for doing incident readings. But I soon discovered you were better off using the through the lens metering with long lenses because the light transmission issues could cause you a lot of grief. The first time I went out with the Nikkor 300mm f4.5 I came home with a lot of underexposed work.

No comments: